Additional Jr. Sailing Classes
August 31 - September 11: 2 one-week sessions of the following classes are being offered.
Session 1: August 31 - September 4
Session 2: September 8 - 11
- Adventure Sailing - for sailors who have completed Intermediates and above at CYC. Participants should be comfortable sailing solo.
- Intro to High School Sailing - open to all sailors who have completed 420 racing & green fleet 420 at CYC, as well as sailors in 8-12th grade who would like to sail in high school and college. No traps or spinnakers. Team racing will be a focus as it is in high school and college.
Two sessions are offered: August 31 - Sept 4 & Sept 8-11. Sailors are encouraged to participate in both sessions if possible.
Questions about eligibility for this class? Contact Meg Myles: email@example.com or 401-855-6643.
Register for additional classes
CYC Fall Junior Sailing:
CYC will offer fall sailing in Club 420s and Optimists on Saturday’s starting September 12. Both groups will meet from 9:30-3:30 for 6 weeks. The dates are Saturday’s, September 12 – October 17.
Lasers will be offered after-school for 5 weeks. See below for details.
- C420 Fall Sailing:
Cost: $400/person + $100 charter boat fee/person for the season (if you do not have your own boat)
Dates: Saturday’s, September 14 – October 16
- Optimist Racing Fall Sailing:
Cost: $400/person + $200 charter boat fee for the season
Dates: Saturday’s, September 14 – October 16
- Lasers, After-School Sailing:
Cost: $70/week; 3 weeks = $210; 5 weeks = $350
Charter Boats: $100 charter boat fee for the season (limited charter boats available).
Dates: Tuesday’s & Thursday’s, September 15 – October 15.
(*This is a pretty small group, so if days of the week do not work for you, please contact Meg Myles to sort out a better schedule.)
Participation in the full season is strongly encouraged. This is best for learning & improvement, as well as for COVID – to keep our groups stable.
Please contact Meg with questions or scheduling issues. Meg@ConanicutYachtClub.org or (401) 855-6643
If classes must be cancelled due to weather, we will do our best to re-schedule.
Register for Fall Sailing
Classes will operate in the same way that summer jr sailing classes did:
- Classes must have the same sailors daily so that we can create stable groups
- Face coverings must be worn when not in stable group
- Health screening at the hedge
- Hand washing upon entry, after using the bathroom, after sailing, and before heading home
- No sailors in the jr sailing room
- Instructors will wear face coverings at all times
- Boats and equipment will be disinfected after use/in between users
- Class sizes are limited
About Jr. Sailing
The CYC Jr. Sailing program is open to all juniors including non-members, member guests, friends and relatives.* The program provides a safe and fun environment where youth sailors of all ages and abilities can improve their sailing skills, while learning respect for their fellow sailors, boats and the water. Sportsmanship and respect are of the utmost importance, and it is the instructors' responsibility to engender these qualities among the sailors. The program strives to provide a high level of excellence as well as a variety of boats and classes to instill a lifetime love of the sport of sailing.
Jr. Sailing class placement is based primarily on skill, not age. Sailors must be 8 years old by September 1 the year in which he/she will begin to participate in junior sailing. There are multiple pathways for learning to sail, progressing through the CYC Junior Sailing Program, and becoming a competent sailor. Starting in the beginner class is always recommended as the best place to start learning to sail, regardless of age. Kids who start in the beginner class and go through the recommended class progression often become the most competent, confident, and independent sailors.
- Sign the COVID-19 Liability Waiver (mandatory), then return to Suzanne Bickford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical Release & Liability Waiver (mandatory)
Payment can be made either by check mailed to CYC or by calling the CYC office to make a payment by credit card over the phone. Members will be billed.
- NOTE: All non-member juniors participating in CYC’s Junior Sailing Program for any period of time are required to pay an additional $125 limited CYC Junior Membership fee. A non-member junior includes non-member guests, friends, relatives, and grandchildren whose parents are not year round, dues paying members of CYC.
- If you would like your child(ren) to order lunch at CYC, select the Lunch Account add-on in your registration as an additional option. A $50 deposit/child is required.
$50 Lunch Program Deposit (to draw down) to set up a lunch account (only Limited Junior Sailing members)
$200 per session Optimist charter fee
$30 pinny fee (Racing classes)
$55 per event trailer spot for regattas or $150 for all NBYA regattas
(Green Fleet Optimist, Optimist Racing)
After [date TBD] a $25 administrative fee will be assessed, with the balance refunded. If a sailor has attended class(es), the refund will be prorated based on the number of classes attended.
Equipment To Bring
All Junior Sailors must bring their own life jacket. Life jackets are to be worn at all times when on a boat, on the water, on the pier, and on the docks.
ADDITIONALLY, CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Closed-toed boating shoes (bare feet not allowed)
- A snack (no food is provided)
- A Towel
- A change of clothes
- Layers in case it is cold or raining. (It is always cooler on the water, and sailors will sail in the rain. Children will NOT sail if there are thunderstorms or thunderstorms are within a 20 mile radius. Classes are held though, regardless of the weather.)
- A water bottle. In order to reduce the number of plastic cups used for water, sailors are required to bring their own water bottles. Refill stations are available in the junior room.
For information about the Junior Sailing Program, contact Meg Myles, Junior Sailing Program Director.